Airelle Blouse by Deer and Doe

My most recent make is the Airelle blouse by Deer and Doe. As I was wondering the fabric store I found the perfect colours for the blouse, however the material was a satin/silk blend. I had never sewn with such slippery fabric before but I decided to go for it and I’m so glad I did.

The fabric did move around whilst cutting it out but not as bad as I expected. I traced the pattern onto a thin paper interfacing, cut out the pattern and pinned to my fabric. I was extra careful, ensuring the pins stayed within the seam allowance as I didn’t want any visible holes in the blouse.

front

back

The blouse was fairly simple to put together, however I decided that when it came to the collar, I would do it my own way. This wasn’t the best idea I have had. Oh dear that was one stressful night but I managed to tell myself that it was only sewing, not the end of the world. I thought it would be best if I sewed the interfacing on first and then attach the collar. So I did this and found the collar was too small, arrrggg. It was too late to turn back as I had trimmed all of my seam allowances. I ended up making a new longer collar. Not the best way to put it together but in the end I think it turned out ok.

I did end up hand sewing the collar to the blouse which looked fine, as there are no visible stitches, yippee. Oh and I hand sewed the hem which also didn’t look too shabby. I would like to make this blouse again, but next time I will follow the instructions.

Submit a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>